Recipes By Country
- Tell your story
Spanakopita - spinach and feta tarts are great as a starter or even as
a light supper or lunch with a fresh green salad.
The filo pastry is crumbly and crisp and the stuffing has a fantastic
We had an informal lunch party the other day and served them as tapas -
the guests went wild for them.
You can make a big batch of them and put in the freezer what you don't
use - they
bake beautifully from frozen and are just as delicious.
Search the Site from here:
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or
- Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently,
- Then add the garlic and cook for a further 2
the spinach and a bit of salt and pepper, cover, and cook until the
spinach is completely wilted, stirring once or twice to hasten the
- Scrape the spinach into a colander and let
- Once cool, firmly squeeze out the excess
then chop the spinach with a chef’s knife into smallish pieces.
- Mix the spinach in a small bowl with the feta
and parsley until chunky.
and add nutmeg, cumin, and a squirt of
lemon juice, plus more salt and pepper if desired.
- Stir in the egg.
- Unwrap and unroll the filo and keep it
at all times with a damp tea towel.
- Working quickly lay one sheet of filo on the
counter and brush it lightly, but thoroughly, with butter.
- Lay another sheet on top of it and brush it
with butter as well.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the filo into 3 by
a small spoonful of spinach filling 1 inch from the end of the pastry
strip. Fold the end over the filling to form a triangle, then continue
to fold up the strip in triangles, like folding up a flag.
with remaining strips of dough, placing filled triangles on the baking
and keeping them covered with a towel until all are ready to bake.
- Brush the triangles lightly with butter, then
bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 400ºf./200ºc. or until golden and crisp.
hot. (These may be frozen before baking, layering waxed paper between
layers of triangles to keep them from sticking.
- Bake frozen triangles an extra 10 minutes.)
- Variation: Butter a 9 by 13 inch baking pan,
and spread 6 sheets of filo, brushing each with butter, on the bottom.
- Spoon the spinach filling over the filo, then
cover with 6 more sheets of filo, buttering each sheet.
- Score the top 3 sheets with a sharp knife.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until top is
let stand 15 minutes, then cut into squares and serve warm.
- Flakey Filo stuffed with a Great Spinach and Feta mix.
If you like what you see on our site, please Like
us on Facebook - We'd really appreciate it!
Personal Chefs Marbella
Let Us Cook For You!
the Photo To Learn More
Hen Party Catering
In Your Marbella Villa
on the photo for information
Pam and David Help Make
Katies Hen Party Go
With a Bang
on the photo for information
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment or ask a culinary question in the box below.