Chicken Pie Recipe
A Mediterranean Chicken Pie Recipe - A picnic on the beach with the
blue Mediterranean lapping at your toes, the warm sand, the light sea
breezes carrying the aromas of charcoal fires, a bottle of chilled
white wine and a wonderfull creamy, crusty Chicken Pie with a crispy
We've recreated this recipe from a lunch we had several years ago on a
beach in Sardinia that beautiful Italian island. A few of the
changed over the years as our tastes have evolved, but the overall
flavours remain the same. Try it yourself - you won't be sorry.
If you like this chicken pie recipe, why not search the Site here for
more great Mediterranean Recipes:
Search the site for recipes here:
Pie Recipe Ingredients
- 1-1/2 lb /675g plain flour
- 6oz /175g butter
- 6oz/175g margarine
- 1/2 teasp salt
- 2 tablesp water
- 1 Beaten egg for glazing
Feature: Printer Friendly Recipe Pages for your
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 chicken legs, boned, skinned and cut into
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
large sticks of green celery including tops,
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into large dice
- 3-4 large mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 plump cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 chicken stock cube dissolved in 200cc boiling
- 250cc white wine
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh tarragon or 1/2 tsp. dried
- A good grinding of black pepper and a very good
pinch of salt
- A small dried chilli bashed in a pestle and
- 1 medium courgette cut into large dice
- 3 tbls. cornflour mixed to a paste with a
- 6 oz./125g. Mascarpone cheese
Pie Recipe Method - The
Pie Recipe - Filling
a good quality food processor - pulse the
flour, butter, margerine and
salt together until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Add the water to the mixture and pulse until it
starts to cling
together (add a little more water if necessary).
- Turn out dough onto a floured board and knead
for about 20 seconds until you have a smooth, even ball
the pastry into balls of
2/3 and 1/3 and
wrap in cling film. Refrigerate for 30
2/3 of the pastry, roll it out on a floured board and line a 10" quiche
dish, trimming the pastry
to 1/2" above the edge of the dish to allow
for shrinkage - crimp the edges with your fingers.
- Place the greaseproof paper on top of the
pastry - making sure it is all covered and fill with your baking beans
- Place on the middle shelf of a pre-heated oven
at 400ºf./200ºc. and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove greaseproof paper and beans/rice and
cook the quiche for a further 10 minutes.
- Take it from the oven and leave it to cool.
your Chicken Pie Recipe Together
heat the olive oil
in a large
non stick fry pan that
has a lid, add the
chicken pieces, the onion,
celery and saute, stirring well over a medium heat until evenly golden
- Add the red pepper, continue to
cook for 2 mins
continuously. (Stirring will allow the ingredients to cook evenly,and
stop them sticking).
- Add the mushrooms and garlic, cook for 2 more
minutes, still stirring.
- Pour in the chicken stock and the white
- Add the tarragon, pepper, salt and chilli.
- Turn the heat down to very low, put the lid on
the pan and allow to simmer VERY slowly for 40 minutes.
- Add the courgettes and simmer for a further 3
- Take the pan off the heat and add the cornflour
paste , stirring well. Return to heat and stir 'til thickened.
- Stir in the Mascarpone cheese and put
aside to cool.
- Check for seasoning...it may need a little more
- Once cooled the filling is ready to be used for
Its a good idea to let the pie rest for at least 15 mins before
serving....just time enough to have a lovely, well-earned, glass
the remaining 1/3rd of the pastry from the fridge and roll it out on a
floured surface, to a good inch more than the size of the base of your
flan dish. (Holding the flan dish over the pastry to get a good idea of
- With a sharp knife cut round the flan dish
allowing the extra inch.
- Pile the cold pie filling into the cooked
pastry case, spreading it out evenly.
- it will be very full, but don't worry ...that's
why we have the extra
the edge of the cooked flan dish pastry with a some water, then
carefully lift the rolled out pastry and gently place evenly over the
- Bring the edge of the uncooked crust up to join
edge of the cooked pastry and nip together with your finger making a
crimp ...do this all around the pie until base and crust are properly
- Brush the crust with plenty of the beaten egg
glaze, and using a sharp knife make a 1/2 inch hole in the centre of
- Re-roll the pastry scraps and cut out
4 leaves... arrange them around the hole in the pie.
- Brush them with more of the egg glaze.
the pie on a baking pan/sheet and bake in a
pre heated oven 200ºc./ 400ºf.
for 25- 30 minutes, until the pastry is evenly golden brown.
Or if you like it is great eaten cold.
A Great Mediterranean Chicken
If you like what you see on our site, please Like
us on Facebook - We'd really appreciate it!
Personal Chefs Marbella
Let Us Cook For You!
the Photo To Learn More
Hen Party Catering
In Your Marbella Villa
on the photo for information
Pam and David Help Make
Katies Hen Party Go
With a Bang
on the photo for information