simple anchovy recipe uses only the freshest of fresh anchovies -
straight from the market.
"Boquerones" as they are known here in Spain are a staple food of the
Mediterranean. They can be found everywhere around Spain's coast,
specially on the southern shores, where every beach bar "Chiringuito"
and Tapas restaurant serves a version.
The thing is that people seem to think there's some mystery about the
preparation - so we aim to show you that it's quick and easy and
somehow tastes far better when you cook them yourself at home.
Another great Mediterranean
We're proud to announce our:
and stay with us in a great garden apartment on Spain's sunny
on the photo to find out more.
to cook and Experience the real Spain.
Search the Site from here:
For 2 people
Feature: Printer Friendly Recipe Pages for your
- About 600g. 1-1/2lb. of fresh
- Plain white flour that has been seasoned with a
little salt and black pepper for coating the fish.
- Olive oil for frying, and some kitchen paper.
- Plenty of lemon wedges for squeezing over the
Anchovy Recipe Method
You could be eating this with us in sunny Spain.
to know more about fish filleting and preparation? Join
one of our courses at: Spanish
Cooking Breaks. You could be
eating this and other great food relaxing in the sunshine. We have Special Offers for single
couples and groups. No single supplement!
- Wash the anchovies/boquerones in a sink with
plenty of cold running water and drain them well.
the fish is easy, using a small sharp
knife cut around the head of the fish just below the gill. Then holding
the fish in one hand, use the other hand to ease the head away from
body, making sure that the backbone comes away as well. Keep pulling
until you get to the tail (you will find that all of the guts will come
away as well) then either pull or cut off with a knife and discard. You
might make a bit of a mess of the first 2 or 3, but you will soon get
the hang of it.....it's a lot simpler than it sounds.
- Repeat this, laying the fillets flat on a large
plate or tray.
- Once finished wash well again with cold water,
drain and pat dry with kitchen roll.
coat each anchovy/boquerone evenly with
the seasoned flour.
- Lay them on a large floured tray...make sure
that each fillet is seperated and not touching another (see
- Have enough olive oil in a deepish pan
for deep fat frying, or you could use a deep fat fryer. The
oil needs to
be approximately 180ºc/360ºf.
- Individually drop each fish into the hot oil,
only small batches at a time. Fry each batch for about 1 to 1 1/2
until golden brown.
- Remove and place on kitchen paper to drain,
keeping warm in a low oven.
- Repeat this until all the fish is cooked
- Transfer to a warm serving plate and serve with
lemon wedges and a crisp salad. Delicious!
- You could also serve these with garlic mayonnaise or sauce tartare
Enjoying the website?
Please like us on facebook, we'd really appreciate it.
Like our Site?
us on Facebook
Personal Chefs Marbella
Let Us Cook For You!
the Photo To Learn More
We Will Travel To Cook!
Personal Chefs Marbella